Ellie

Ellie

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Pre- Op Eval

We had pre-op today and it wasn't anything like last time, and much worse. First, they told me I wasn't scheduled. I found out that the speech pathologist had an emergency to attend to this afternoon so I had gotten bumped during the rearrangement. So instead of being seen at 10:40 I was seen around noon. So I had to keep a tired two year old under control in a hospital waiting room for almost an hour and a half. We get back there, the doctor says that we absolutely have to see genetics ASAP b/c he doesn't think her speech delay has anything to do with her palate, he thinks its an underlying condition. I ask, do you have a diagnosis in mind? He says, "Yes but since its completely out of my realm I have no business sharing it with you." Helpful. So then he says he's not going to recommend the sphincter (so that leaves us w/ the p-flap). Then he tells me we need to see neurology to determine how best she learns. Fine, whatever. Then he asks me about next fall- where is she going to school, what program is she enrolled in, is the state program supporting us? I'm like NEXT FALL?!?! How about we get through the rest of December first, huh? So then he proceeds to tell me how my daughter is special ed and will need to be coordinated with the state and them and me all working together. Look, I know my kids delayed, but you're not helping. I just wanted to know what kind of surgery to have. Then he goes, well, maybe she stopped talking because no one could understand her anyway. Well, didn't you just say you had an amateur diagnosis of a separate problem? So which is it there Dr. Bigshot? So I've ran the gamut of emotions- sad, depressed, angry, defiant, hopeful, resignation...

No comments:

Post a Comment