While yesterday was a shining beacon of what's to come, I did not cancel the appointment. Hubby insisted we wait until the night, if it went well we could cancel in the morning, if not we will go (and we means Ellie and I). She woke up at 2:30 a.m. and cried for 30 minutes. I'll be honest, I gave her the Tylenol with codeine. 2 a.m. is not the time for a fit. Sorry. So we went to the surgeon to see if there was some underlying issue that was causing Ellie frequent pain. There is not. Because her palate was wider than most she still has raw spots that require more time to heal. Other than that her mouth is healing perfectly well.
While in the waiting room I heard two other parents of children requiring cranio-facial plastic surgery talking and one asked about the "ten pound threshold." He made it sound as though that was the weight to be reached in order to have surgery. That can't be, I thought. Ellie was over 10 lbs when she was threatened with the G-tube.
In any event, to other moms and dads of palate recovery kids- just be patient. I know its hard. I know you're tired, and you're really over the whole thing. It gets easier and better each day, even if its just by a smidgen. But I won't fault you if you get crazy and want a follow up with your surgeon within a week hahaha. My advice would be to wait until day 10 to make the call, though.